Tuesday, May 11, 2010

La Tuna La Sucks and other random musings...

Word. Mas apologies for the lack of blogging. We rode so many freaking miles this weekend and it caused me to be unable to type...literally -- my pointer finger on my right hand is still numb. Caitlin has been unable to blog because her muscles are too big and she needs a cheese burger. So I'm taking a moment from not-so-sunny Vancouver (I didn't ride my bike here) to update you on the comings and goings of the Spandex Gang.

Saturday invovled a 53 mile ride from North Hollywood, through some towns, over La Tuna Canyon, into Caitlin's old stomping grounds, down to the Rose Bowl, up a "1.2 mile climb" (nice try. more like 5 freaking miles) and back to North Hollywood. It was long, and it was intense. One word describes my experience: naseau/puke. About 1/4 of the way up La Tuna (I may be lying and it might have been about 5 pedal strokes in.....but you weren't there, so you can't judge) I pulled over to the side of the rode to watch everyone pass me and attempt to hurl up my electrolytes/shot blocks/insides. It was tragic. I will tell you that never in my life has exercising made me feel that terrible. It was likely a combo of the almost-mono like sickness I was sporting just last week (along with the pink eye), the inadequate diet I consumed the week prior and the sun. It was awful.

However, what was AWESOME was the supportive folks that were right there with me. My new friend and seriously pro kit Mel stayed with me, assured me that the top wasn't going anywhere and that I should just take my time. He could have flown up that La Tuna, but he stayed back to encourage me. He could have rode with his pro kit friends, but he stayed with out of breath, out of shape, sick me and smiled. It was awesome.

The even MORE AWESOMENESS occurred 2 minutes before I attempted my first puke fest on the side of La Tuna -- CAITLIN PASSED EVERYONE!!!!! I mean, last week I showed you her calf muscles and this week she went up La Tuna like a CHAMP. Like a CHAMP. I have never been more proud. And, in her words, she didn't "enjoy it" but she didn't necessarily despise it either. whoo hoo!!!! I will admit that for about 30 seconds I was pretty upset that I couldn't keep up, but then I realized what this meant for Caitlin and how much confidence and awesomeness she was going to get from tearing up that stupid "hill." (Its a mountainside, but whatever.) She kicked La Tuna's ass (sorry mom). And it was amazing.

We continued for some miles and then came to a climb that THEY totally snuck into the ride without really telling us about. Disaster again for me. Not so much puking this time, I just was slow as molasses and couldn't really get my body going. Actually, at this moment I am shocked I'm evening telling you about it, but blogs are for honesty, right? So, I sucked it up again; however I made new friends, Etti and Michayla (no idea how to spell her name -- sorry!), who waited at the top and told me I could do it. I'm not a person who likes to accept help; I like to figure it all out on my own. But this thing, I can't do without Caitlin and I can't do without our ALC friends to tell me I CAN. It sucked; not going to lie. But La Tuna La Sucked a little less because of the people who are involved with ALC.

Sunday Caitlin and I semi-rode the first training route I ever did. I say "semi" because Fancy Eric made some kinda mistake in the directions, which I forgot about until we were in some sketchy part of Alta Dena or something, and we missed a turn. Anyway, the ride was considerably easier than the first time I rode, and we got Mega Turkey Bagel Sandwiches from Goldsteins. WHat???!!??? Yes, sooo gooooooood. Caitlin and her new-found muscles again beat me up every hill -- except the one where she got bit or something on her head and had to stop in a flurry to scratch under her helmet....hahahaha....it was funny. Sunday was 27 miles, so all in all we biked it up for 80 miles this weekend! I think I need another cheeseburger from just thinking about it.

I'll post the weekend in pictures later this week so you have something to look forward to. Thank you again for sticking with us; the ride is about 3 weeks away and the reality is terrifying now and again. Can you believe how close it is? What are you going to do with yourselves when we don't blog anymore? What are we going to do with all of our free weekends? How will I convince Caitlin to wear ridiculous outfits that I can post on the internet? As Mr. Aalbers used to say in 7th grade geography, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

~~Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment