Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Never Noticed Before.

Hello from cold, chilly and awesome Rockford, Illinois! Woot. Work called, so I had to go, which means I cannot say hello to my bike until SATURDAY!! Disaster. Anyway, I was rolling through the offices today meeting everyone and seeing everyone cringe when they realized "legal" was visiting from California, when I noticed the Ops guy had a Tour de France picture on one wall and a charcoal drawing of a road biker on another. So I proudly annouced that I had taken up the sport, and thus began a bond that goes beyond "environmental waste management systems" and lawyering. We found common ground and shared stories and how he fits in biking between a wife and kids and how I can just take off whenever I want. He forgot that I was a member of the dreaded legal department and corporate and I forgot that I've only been a part of this community for 2 weeks.

And then I met another guy who "had" to give up biking when he got married....and then someone else told me that their neighbor rides often...and so on and so on. Its amazing how many people I now have a something in common with. And its different than basketball (the sport of my heart....go Duke!) because, so far, it seems to be a smaller community and we speak a language that not everyone just "knows." Its interesting. The Bike Whisperer said we would start to notice these things and we would realize that there were many more bikes on the road than we ever noticed before. I thought she was exagerrating. She's not. They're...ahem...WE'RE every where. Its pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment