Tuesday, February 9, 2010

SPANDEX HIATUS.

As Caitlin mentioned, I regretfully could not ride this past weekend because I was moving to the Westside (for all of you followers who are not Angelinos, the "Westside" refers to the western-part of Los Angeles county, specifically Santa Monica, Brentwood, and, some would include if they had to, Marina del Ray, Culver City, Palms. Anyway, I moved to Brentwood, aka the place where OJ "didn't" committ a crime). Thankfully, I was able to reintroduce myself to my bike and hit the road this morning.

I would like to state, again, for the record, that Caitlin and I are amazing because it is FREAKING cold and early when we ride. Today we tested out our various "base layers." These are not-so-fancy parts of the "kit" that go under the fancy zip-up shirts and attempt to keep us warm. In case you were wondering, they are not attractive. However, they did do a fantastic job! With the base layer on and the cold in place, I didn't want to shoot myself until about 6:45am. Also, please note, I paid $4.95 for my base layer (go Target!) and Caitlin paid $70. She likes the name brand; I like a good deal. (I made her go day-after-Thanksgiving-midnight shopping this year at the outlets; she almost didn't survive because everything was on sale and very overwhelming. I'm not going to push the $4.95 Target shirts on her; she's got enough to handle for now.)

So between the base layer and the early mornings, we're still surviving, and some might say, THRIVING! At this point in the blog, I would like to give a shout out (yes, I said SHOUT OUT) to Caitlin. If you know her, you can probably understand how much outside her comfort zone she has been the past 3 weeks. If you don't know her, please imagine your most un-sporty and SUPER fashionable friend, and then add in the desire to be the best at everything always and forever. Got it? Okay. Now imagine you took that friend, put her into a sport that required ugly clothing that she wasn't good at immediately. Also add in early mornings and cold weather.

Despite all of these things, and despite being terrified of meeting new people and having a general disdain for small talk, Caitlin has gotten up early at least 3-4 weekdays for the past 3 weeks to ride a bike she couldn't originally sit on. She has attended training rides with people she doesn't know and had to be vulnerable in front of them. She's had to face and respond to everyone who cries in disbelief that she can't do this. She hasn't been forced to do any of this, yet she's done it all. Has it been comfortable all of the time? No. Has it been easy for her? Absolutely not. But she's done it. And she's gotten better! So much better at riding and being comfortable and putting up with the cold and the traffic and the other bikers. I haven't even heard her doubt herself for at least a week now. And I'm sure she's on the verge of actually enjoying herself while riding!

I have already been so inspired by the people I've met and the fundraising campaign/purpose we're on with ALC (code name for AIDS/LifeCycle), but I garauntee you that one of the most inspirational points of this cycling craze I'm on is experiencing this with Caitlin and watching her overcome some of her biggest fears. If she can do it, I know I can to, and so I keep getting up and facing the cold.

I cannot wait for June 13 when she rolls into Brentwood as an experienced cyclist. I cannot wait for all of you doubters to face her and tell her you were wrong. And I cannot wait until she believes in herself as much as I believe in her.

~~Autumn

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Autumn, you are a good friend to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the move went well! It's fun reading all about this adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do NOT doubt for one second that a LOT of the reason she feels empowered to step outside her "comfort zone" is that she knows YOU are there beside her! You inspire ALL of us!
    ~~BW~~

    ReplyDelete